Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Puff Inn - End of an Era

Occasionally I learn something from my blog stats. It's a page that shows how many views each post receives over time. During the past week it indicated that there had been a lot of views of a post I did on the Puff Inn (the St Kilda bar) in 2016 (see this link). Why the sudden interest in the Puff Inn? A quick search answered the question. It turns out they are demolishing the building that housed the Puff Inn as part of the St Kilda Base rebuild. And a newspaper story on August 16th had an excerpt from my 2016 post that described the first time I'd been to the Puff Inn in 1999. 

I am not too saddened by the news, as the Puff Inn had been closed to the public for the past 12 years. They will be opening another bar (for residents only) at some point, and I hope they reuse all the wonderful decorations, banners, and flags that adorned the old pub. Oh how I wish they'd scan and make available the old membership book. I remember signing it as I paid my one-pound fee to join, and then ordering a beer and a double Scotch. 

Since there is no pub for visitors these days, when I go ashore on Kilda I always throw a can of beer in my pack. Then, after the stiff climb to the top of Conachair, I take a seat by the old sundial to set up my own pop-up pub. You are welcome to join me - no membership fee - just BYOB.

No comments:

Post a Comment