Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Remote Jura - Glengarrisdale

I have posted before on a long walk I made to Glengarrisdale on the northwest end of Jura. (It was also the subject of chapter 7 in Book 1.) That walk was made in 2010. Ten years have passed, and, sadly, I've not had a chance to return to Glengarrisdale. I say sad for two reasons: the first is that is is a beautiful walk, the second is that I left a friend there. His name is Skull, and I left him all alone, perched on a ledge in a shallow cave. In 2014 a reader sent me a note that Skull was still there, and someday I hope to return to see how he's doing.


Aside from seeing Skull, I'd like return to Glengarrisdale to once again traverse some of the most beautiful terrain I've ever hiked across. The long descent to the coast from the spine of the island crosses rolling glens separated by rocky ridges, with ever-present sea views laid out before you. The walk starts at the parking area at Road's End (NR 6695 9272). The information sign omits any mention of Glengarisdale, which lies three miles to the northwest.

What follows are scenes from the walk to Glengarrisdale that I hope will entice you to make that same journey, yourself.







After two hours of hiking the bothy at Glengarrisdale comes into view.







From the bothy there is a direct view north to Scarba. A view that includes the Corryvreakan whirlpool.




In the next photo you can see the gamekeeper's track. It is a good way to return to the road.


If you follow the gamekeeper's track back to the road, the sight of these two posts tells you your long trek is at an end. They hold the chain barrier that blocks the public from driving any farther north. From there is is only a few minutes of easy walking back to the parking area. If you've made the walk, be sure to reward yourself with a pint at the pub - only a 25 mile slow drive to the south.

1 comment:

  1. I have not been to the bothy, but have been twice to the north end, overlooking Corryvreckan. Thanks for rekindling memories of one of the remostest and empty parts of all Scotland. Best wishes and thanks for your regular postings.

    ReplyDelete