Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Sandray Sortie

Sandray is a big island: too big to see in just one day trip, but that's all I've managed to do so far. A couple of years ago I went to Barra for a week, hoping to get day trips to Sandray, Pabbay and Muldonaich. But the weather was awful. Pabbay and Muldonach were not to be, but on my last day on Barra the sea and wind calmed, and Donald Macleod, skipper of Boy James, said he could drop me on Sandray for a couple of hours. 

But I had to make a choice. Should Donald drop me on the sandy east side of Sandray, or the rocky west? A hard choice, indeed. I ended up choosing the west as, in the limited time I'd have, it would allow me to see the settlement site of Sheader, the fort of Dun Sandray, and climb to the top of the island.

Here are some photos from that quick wander around the west of Sandray. I did not like having to rush, and I plan to return in 2016 for a more leisurely visit.

Dun Sandray - east end of Pabbay in the distance
Vatersay seen from the summit of Sandray
Mingulay, Pabbay, Greanamul and Lingay seen from the summit of Sandray
Late afternoon view of Sheader beach
Sheader village ruins
Return to Castlebay

No comments:

Post a Comment