Saturday, December 12, 2020

Please, Sir, Can I have some more?

More breakfast fun in Scotland . . . 

On our first visit to Scotland my wife and I took my parents with us. It was 1989, and after exploring the Loch Lomond area we drove north to Fort Willian. As we approached the town we saw a vacancy sign at the Innseagan Hotel, and decided to spend the night there. We enjoyed a quiet evening, and in the morning the four of us went down for breakfast. As usual, there was a table filled with an assortment of cereals, and another table with a tray of tiny glasses set next to pitchers of apple and orange juice.

I proceeded to scoop some corn flakes into a bowl, and to fill one of those tiny glasses with orange juice. As I made my way to a table I heard a shout.

"Sir . . . Sir . . ."

"Yes", I replied.

"Please, Sir. You can have cereal, or juice, but not both." I had to return the juice. That was my introduction, and a still lingering memory, of Fort William. Good times.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of staying at The Ferry Inn, Arrochar. It looked good on the internet, but my third bed (in a 3-bed) room was a collapsing camp bed, like trying to sleep in a bucket. At breakfast we were admonished by the hostess for daring to help ourselves to a second Weetabix, without asking! We never stayed again! Have a good Christmas. Thanks for your enjoyable 2020 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and a Happy Christmas to you. At one place we stayed the cook presented us with a slice of bacon that was a complete cross-section of Mr. Piggy's innards: a little bit of meat, a lot of fat, and a thick skin with hairs still attached.

    ReplyDelete