Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Island Phone Boxes - 3

The Canna red-box is a communications oasis in a dead sea of mobile phone coverage. I have lost track of how many times I've made the mile-long round-trip hike from Canna pier to the phone box to make a call to see how things were going back home. 

I have also sheltered in the box a few times when the rain was pouring down and there was no other shelter to be found. If the weather is bad Canna can be a frustrating destination; the cafe is no longer in business (once a great place to sit out the rain), and never on the ten or so times I've been there has the Church of St Edward's, or Canna House, been opened to the public. But, hopefully, one day I'll be able to step inside both those historic buildings.

Speaking of historic things, if the weather is good, be sure to make the long hike to Sgorr nam Ban Naomh (second photo). It is one of the premire Hebridean hikes.


Sgorr nam Ban Naoimh

No comments:

Post a Comment