Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Pabbay Tram

As I was wandering around Pabbay I came across this old wooden cart half buried in the turf above the shore. Its two iron wheels were rusted solid to a single axle, and I had no idea what it was. Any guesses?

Cart buried in the turf
Twenty minutes later, as I was searching for a way to get over to the nearby Roisinis headland, I noticed an odd slot in the bedrock leading down to the sea. On closer examination it was obviously man-made; a series of small steps hacked out of the rock. On each side of the steps there were grooves where wheels could roll. I then realized it was a tramway made for the cart I'd found in the turf; a way to get supplies up onto the island. An interesting find, and like nothing I've come across on any other Hebridean Isle.

Cart slot leading down to the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment